Saturday, April 26, 2008

朋友(Friend)

Second Session with Tutor

Today I had my second session with my Chinese Tutor. She tested me on the writing of the list of words she gave me for 'spelling' last week from the song 在爱我吧(Love me again). I almost got everything correct except for one word. She was pleased that my hard work in practising everyday had paid off. We then moved to another song by Zhou Hua Jian, one that was very popular called 朋友 (Friends). She explained the words that I did not understand (there were many) and gave me another list for 听写(Spelling)next week.

I showed her the contents of this blog and invited her to comment on my entries so that I can learn more. I asked if there was a way to make the intonation mark appear in the Hanyu Pinyin words that I type. She said I did not have Chinese fonts and downloaded a set for me. For some reason, even though we have saved the Chinese fonts into the Fonts folder, it could not be detected in word. I will have to find out why because it would be great to have hanyu pinyin with the proper intonations indicated.

I also showed her a book I bought a book written and illustrated by Jimmy Liao. It was one of many beautiful works that he has produced called 'Turn Left, Turn Right' 向左走,向右走。 It was written in traditional Chinese and I saw the potential of this book in helping me to further my study of Chinese as it has wonderfully descriptive pictures and not too many words.
To facilitate her teaching, I copied the first five lines that was written in traditional Chinese in a notebook leaving ample spaces in between so that she could write for me the hanyu pinyin as well as the simplified Chinese characters. This method worked for me and now I have two types of materials for learning - songs and story.

Lyrics of 朋友(Friend)周华健

这些年一个人
Zhe xie nian yi ge ren

风也过雨也走
Feng ye guo yu ye zou

有过泪有过
You guo lei you guo cuo

还记得坚持

Hai ji de jian chi shen me

真爱过才会
Zhen ai guo cai hui dong

寂寞会回首
Hui ji mo hui hui shou

终有梦终有你在心中
Zhong you meng zhong you ni zai xin zhong

朋友一生一起走
Peng you yi sheng yi qi zou

那些日子不再有
Na xie ri zi bu zai you

一句话一
Yi ju hua yi bei zi

一生
Yi sheng qing yi bei jiu

朋友不曾孤单过
Peng you bu ceng gu dan guo

一生朋友你会懂
Yi sheng peng you ni hui dong

还有还友
Hai you shang hai you tong

还要走还有我
Hai yao zou hai you wo
Characters in blue are my spelling list for next week.

Meaning of the song as I understand it to be

朋友(Friend)周华健

这些年一个人
Zhe xie nian yi ge ren
All these years I have been alone

风也过雨也走
Feng ye guo yu ye zou
The wind has passed, the rain has left

有过泪有过错
You guo lei you guo cuo
There has been tears, there have been mistakes

还记得坚莫甚么
Hai ji de jian chi shen me
Do you remember why we persisted

真爱过才会懂
Zhen ai guo cai hui dong
When you have really loved, you will understand

会寂寞会回首
Hui ji mo hui hui shou
I feel loneliness, I turn back

终有梦终有你在心中
Zhong you meng zhong you ni zai xin zhong
In the end, there are dreams and there is you in my heart

朋友一生一起走
Peng you yi sheng yi qi zou
Friends are forever

那些日子不再有
Na xie ri zi bu zai you
Those days will not be here again

一句话一辈子
Yi ju hua yi bei zi
A word, a lifetime

一生情一杯酒
Yi sheng qing yi bei jiu
A lifetime of love, a cup of wine

朋友不曾孤单过
Peng you bu ceng gu dan guo
Friends will never be alone

一生朋友你会懂
Yi sheng peng you ni hui dong
A lifetime of friendship, you will understand

还有伤还友痛
Hai you shang hai you tong
There is hurt and there is pain

还要走还有我

Hai yao zou hai you wo

Want to carry on, there is me

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your translation